Thursday, January 3, 2008

Something Real

O ye, 2008 it is. HAPPY NEW YEAR EVERYONE!

I've been lost in the airwaves. I've spent my "vacation" far from civilization. Haha. Seriously, here are the proofs.

My braincells are still wandering. The fireworks must have took them. I'm still badgering my classmates to hand their reports and articles for Sinabawang Gulay. But for now, I would like to acknowledge (again) the genius that is Meg and Dia.

They make their music from:
~ 18th century literature
~ social issues (drugs, liberalism on youth, etc)
~ life and love experiences

Contrary to popular love-inspired songs, their music isn't about mushy cliche-ic love stories. Some songs included in their album tackle about different topics.

Cardigan Weather - vengeance for infidelity
Courage, Robert - a song for the pianist/composer Robert Schumann
Getaways Turned Holidays - about parents who stay together for their kids
How Much - about destructive relationships
I'll Find Mine - a COOL break-up song
Joey Had A Smoke - an interesting song about the nativity scene
Just One of Those Things - about someone who doesn't want to leave (a relationship, person, etc) but he/she has to
Masterpiece - rape, incest, pedophilia
Nineteen Stars - suicide, depression (POV of someone close to the suicidal person)
Roses - youth and drugs
Santa Barbara - suicide, depression (POV of a suicidal person)
Strawberry Waltz - infidelity
Yellow Butterfly - for a mother who lost a child

Songs based from Books:
Indiana - based from George Sand's Indiana
Monster - based from John Steinbeck's East of Eden
Rebecca - based from Daphne du Maurier's Rebecca
Setting Up Sunday - based from J. D. Salinger's Catcher in the Rye
Tell Mary - based from a book entitled Mary

And just today, I learned something about their song My Baby's Better Than Yours. Contrary to the title, the song is about war. This was taken from an interview with Dia:

"Meg and I have always had this really negative outlook on war. Of course, we've never been, or fought in an actual war, but we've both read extensive novels on war. (Some of my favorites remain, "Things Fall Apart," and "The Red Badge of Courage," and "A Farewell to Arms.") Killing another person, even in war, has always been a terrible thought to me. War, in my opinion, is like an organized massacre. I always think about the other side... they're just like you and me. Good people fighting against good people for something that isn't worth it. Nothing is worth innocent blood...is it? I don't want to get to politics, because I still have so much to learn about politics and war, but that's just how we feel now."

You might as well listen to the song and read its lyrics.




Some say suffering's not much
But I say...
We make sure to know
We know a lot of who we're killing

We fell apart
We all fell apart
Underestimate what it means to me
We fell apart
We all fell apart
Underestimate what it means to me

We're all different right?
(We're all different right)

Age is one, other side, different lines,
Different roles,
Different rules to abide by,
And all these lines self divide to races of men,
Cause we're all different right?

We fell apart
We all fell apart
Underestimate what it means to me
We fell apart
We all fell apart
Underestimate what it means to me

We're all different right?
(We're all different right)

Step over,
Step over that clever line,
Gotta figure out which side is right,
Choose a destiny to live by
If you wanna live or die or fight
And only one side wins
And what I think of this I don't know
It's not that I'm afraid of dying,
It's just, I'm so afraid to live


Some say that clevers as they come.
But I say,
We slowly learn to bite upon the sun
Perfect's finally gone and

We fell apart
We all fell apart
Underestimate what it means to me
We fell apart
We all fell apart
Underestimate what it means to me

We're all different right?
(We're all different right)

Step over,
Step over that clever line,
Gotta figure out which side is right,
Choose a destiny to live by
If you wanna live or die or fight
And only one side wins
And what I think of this I don't know
It's not that I'm afraid of dying,
It's just, I'm so afraid to live

Hate is what fuels our wars and bloody lips.
Don't listen to love.
But I can sing songs
And I can sing about how I know

I know that this is wrong


Step over,
Step over that clever line,
Gotta figure out which side is right, Choose a destiny to live by
If you wanna live or die or fight
And only one side wins
And what I think of this I don't know
It's not that I'm afraid of dying,
It's just, I'm so afraid to live

Some say suffering's not much
But I say...

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Happy New Year to you too Bam! :)
Wow, thanks for sharing the songs. Ive read their lyrics and they're good:) DL ko nga :D Wala ako mabibilan eh. :P Haha.

Take care! missed your blog=)

Anonymous said...

happy new year bam! nice layout... flora to..

ychel said...

Happy new year bamtot!

i miss you..sori havent dropped here for a while..

i listened to the song. its nice ha..ill try to upload the artist and listen to the other songs.

Goodluck to 2008! and thanks for being a part of my 2007. thanks for all the advices and the concern.thanks alot!..

take care always...mwahugs..

KB said...

UPDATE!