Monday, March 26, 2012

Sibling Appreciation Post

More than a fan, a friend, an online unnie, I am first and foremost, a sister. However, my siblings and I do not belong to the typical stereotypes that are omg-so-close-were-almost-the-same-person or I-hate-you-way-so-much-I-wish-you-would-evaporate sibling relationships. Our relationships are, for a lack of a better term, classified as unique.

For one, we didn't grow up together for most of our lives. I was raised by my grandmother whereas they grew up under my mother's care. Despite that, we were never really distant with each other. Aside from the fact that we do not look alike (lol), there's nothing much other people can comment especially when all of us start talking and throw inside jokes at each other.

The typical sibling stuff that we do? Oh that's easy, we call each other names. I call my sister a monkey, she calls me an ape. We call our brothers horse and pig, respectively. They retort by calling us retards. When we are bored, we wrestle. My brother and I take sparring as an everyday activity. I never ask my sister how she is, instead I send her a "when are you going home doofus?" message. We bully our youngest brother. The elder brother makes songs about our stupidity and he sings it whenever he feels like it. We also borrow each other's clothes. We take each other's food, we hit each other, and we have normal bouts of fliptop when we have nothing else to do.

We also talk about our future, tell each other about their mistakes, recognize achievements, give each other gifts even if there is no occasion, save a plate whenever one is late during mealtimes, take care of each other, brag about a sibling on each one's circle of friends, never fight for real, and be always there to defend, support, or help each other.

Our interests are so varied we can be highly similar and extremely different at the same time. And if there's one thing that my siblings almost always do to me, it is that they always surprise me. And they usually surprise me in a good way. Which is why in this post, I feel like appreciating them for more than what I actually let the people see.

After four years, my sister is graduating this April with a degree in Agricultural Economics. The fact that she made it through university on her own, being a scholar and sending herself to school, is enough but it's a bonus knowing that she's graduating Magna Cum Laude. When I asked her about her plans after graduation, she says she's still on a dilemma whether to take a Masters degree in Economics or to take Agricultural Engineering. Yeah... She's weird like that.

My family does not really expect much from my younger brother primarily because he is lazy and is more of a headache. But I digress with this opinion. I say that he will be great and the only thing he has to do is to combat his laziness. My grandmother is half-giving up half-holding on in her dream for my brother to be a Veterinarian. I can't blame her especially with the fact that my brother thinks he's so badass that he didn't take his midterm examinations. We were actually not expecting that he'll graduate high school this year. But he did. And my sister sent me a message today saying that my stupid, lazy, dimwit of brother surpassed the score requirement for a Veterinary Medicine degree in the university he applied for. LOL 

My face is basically that of the gif above. I cannot fuckin' believe it. I'm still at loss for words now. Later when I go home, I'll prep this lil bro of mine with a long-ass litany specifically mandating him to do well in his next six years in college. He is still fifteen and he still has a long way to go. All he needs to do is to do his best. To prove people wrong about what they think about him. To prove himself. And to not let the people who stood by him all the way.

Our youngest brother is thirteen and he'll be on his third year in high school next school year. He still has much to prove but he is doing fairly well as of the moment.

I've always known that they'll make me proud someday. I just never expected the overwhelming emotion I feel when that happens. So yeah, to my crazy siblings... though I do not really say it often at all, I love you. You crazy, moronic excuses of a doofus. ♥



No comments: