So many things happened since the last time I sent a letter, I don’t even know where to start. Each significant event is paired with a "profound insight". However, since it took a long time for me to actually pen it down, the insights lost its profundity and all I’m left is a list of things that once were. I’ll just list them. Who knows, while writing, the profundity of the experience will come to me again.
- I saw a sea turtle swam very close to the shore. It was a weekend and I was at our house near the sea. There is a longer story about this turtle. I will write about it in my succeeding posts.
- Receiving a job offer in a UN agency, declining it, getting rejected at another job, and getting the job that I currently have now. It was a lesson of learning one’s self. Mick said that it is in dilemmas that we get to discover who we truly are. I believe our essence remains the same but our needs change constantly. As such, at this certain point in my life, I know I’m a money-driven animal.
- Or so I thought. The job that I have is supposed to be my ‘selling out’ job. However, I cannot seem to keep myself from being invested in it. Tetet said I can never work for money. She said it runs contrary to my nature. I don’t want to talk about my nature, at the risk of sounding arrogant. But I guess it’s safe to say that I was raised not to put a premium on material wealth. Maslow’s hierarchy of needs puts self-actualization at the very top. Strangely, I seem to have been making significant development on that aspect, all the while not addressing the three bottom rungs of the pyramid. This is why I’m forever poor. Haha.
- The world is dying. As it has been billion years ago as soon as it was created. The moment an entity is alive, it starts its countdown to its death. So yeah the earth is dying. But back then it was dying slowly. Now, scientists say we only have eleven years left to at least “heal” the earth or else it’s death will be irreversible after that. This is funny for many reasons. One, the earth has “died” before. And when it died, it brought the dinosaurs with it. The dinosaurs are long dead but the earth is still here. When people say the earth is dying, what they actually meant is that “humanity is going to be extinguished”. I don’t know if the language of detachment, calling it the “planet” instead of “us, humans” is what contributes to the slow and often nonchalant reaction of the people. Perhaps there is a need to fix the communication strategy of climate change. Tell people they are going to die. Maybe that will get them to care. As for me, I’m doing my own share of helping.
- I am currently promoting a culture of zero-waste in our household. This is very difficult considering that my hometown is a city that will probably combust if its inhabitants fail to reach the plastic usage quota of ten ton a day. It’s mind blowing how people here consume plastic bags as if it’s the most biodegradable organic shit on the planet. “Oh, you’re buying one tomato? LET’S WRAP IT A PLASTIC BAG!” “What? Do you need onions with it? ANOTHER PLASTIC BAG FOR YOUR ONIONS! AND ANOTHER PLASTIC BAG FOR YOUR GARLIC, FOR YOUR BANANA, FOR YOUR COW!” Thank goodness my younger cousins are cooperative. They now carry this large eco-bag we have every time they buy something.
- Philippine elections. Nothing profound. Just another reminder on why life should be lived by the day. No looking forward. No time to hope, no time to grieve. No time to be disappointed. Just give your best shot each day.
I think that pretty much lists the significant events. I’ll get back to you with the sea turtle story later.
No comments:
Post a Comment