Monday, December 23, 2024

Those Poets Are In For A Wild Ride

A letter to the Child of the Mountains; 

from her who is borne from the sea


I dive

You climb 

You, who keep going up despite your fear of heights 

I, who find solace at the depths of the sea


While these are the thrills that we seek,

From the depths I surface to breathe air

You climb down to the security of the solid ground.

We meet halfway.


Like the earth, you are firm, stable 

And I, bearing the properties of air 

In three atoms 

Is as mutable and oscillating as water 


You are a tree with roots firmly entrenched 

I’m a drifting piece of algae, moving with the waves 

Where I treasure my legs to bring me to new places 

And propel me forward when I dive

You train your fingers to let you grip things tighter 


Even the way we love is different 

Love for me is letting go, and for you it is 

firmly holding on


When the Big Bang exploded and life bloomed 

unashamedly in this Little Rock in Space

I sprouted in the East 

And you bloomed in the West 

Through the random machinations of the universe 

We happened to cross paths

The believers of the algorithm called fate will say we were brought together 

But of course they are wrong

As you firmly insist

(While I do not necessarily agree,

I respect your wrong opinion)


We just happened to meet

But we chose to love

Despite the differences 

And the seemingly polarized zones of comfort where we thrive 


There is no preordained higher purpose or deeper meaning

Purpose and meaning are what we decide them to be

We seek 

And then we decide that it is so


While I never intended to find you

I’m glad we met 

On the subject of possibilities,

I affirm that should we exist in different lifetimes and life forms 

It would be my great happiness if we could find each other there as well 


Plant boulders on the seabed 

Let the reefs cover the branches of trees  

Grow corals on your hills 

No comments: