Tuesday, February 27, 2007

Recollect and Reflect

Bah! I love Recollections.

The ABIS-ASST2 had their recollection last February 22, 2007 at the Manresa by the Sea in Talomo, Davao City. It was a fun, fun day. A lot of things happened.

Morning
~ I woke up at 6am. Hah! A miracle. I knew it!
~ It is indeed refreshing to see the Ateneo grounds bathing in the first warm rays of the morning sun. You cannot help but rejoice in the sight of a PDA-lovers-free campus.
~ Oooh, the Ateneo Bus! We will FINALLY be using an Ateneo Bus! Hahaha! Forgive the first-timers. You see, here in AdDU, crying a river of lava is a requisite for riding what should be intended for the students.
~ Harvey and me were busmates! An looked at us and asked with a tone of utmost disbelief, "sure mo, motapad mo?"... By the way, Harvey and me are the exact manifestation of war happening in the Middle East in our classroom. Our ideas and beliefs get along well with each other the way Kim Jung-Il and George Bush does.
~ Thanks be to God, no war emerged between us and the whole IS community arrived safely in Manresa with their eardrums unscathed.
~ I do love retreat houses. It helps you believe that peace still exists.
~ We had a super-reflective prayer, a very-fulfilling mid-morning snack, and a meta-reflective sharing about our life's journeys. I teamed up with Kim, Paola, Harvey, and Janine.
~ And I knew it. They cried plastic balloons after my super-emo-childhood years. That's fun. I usually laugh whenever I remember those moments. Bantay-Bata 163 and other Human Rights Advocates would probably swarm and pester me regarding my oh-so-shocking-salad years. And it won't be quite a shock if I found my name in the headlines talking about Surviving Brutality and other gibberish the media loves to poke their heads into. Things they shouldn't be caring about, at the first place.
~ Lunch! Hahahaha! I soooooooooo love recollections. FOOD GALORE!

Afternoon
~ Everyone is given the chance to stroll around after lunch.
~ Manresa waters are oh-so-calm. The benches were wonderfully lined. I can't help but get pictures.
~ I took A LOT of pictures. Justin’s polo has a cabbage-like texture. Ady found a stick and started hopping in the sand. She performed a ritual. Such ritual implies facing the sea, raising the stick and singing saying "Happy Birthday to You" in Thai.
~ I went inside the hall only to go back to where I come from. I heard, what I thought at first as a drunken whale lost in the sandy waters, Justin whining.
~ Turns out, the bench (with Millie, Kokoi, Kim, and a lot more people in it) collapsed. And Justin's foot got hit.
~ I could beat the Flash. You could mistake me for a boy. After a million gasps, whines, and laughter from the other's tumescent esophagi, Harvey and me managed to free Justin's humungous foot. That WAS fun!
~ We wrote a letter. I wrote to my grandmother. Everything I wanted to say for seventeen years. I burned my letter to my father. The smoke would bring my message for him in heaven.
~ The afternoon was spent reflecting, sharing, eating another set of delectable snack, and of course, laughing about Justin's foot experience.
~ The ride home is as fun as our first-time. We (Harvey and me) wolfed down Anito's Beef Jerky. Ooooh! What law-breakers! Eating dried beef (plus the smell) inside the air-conditioned AdDU bus! Hahahaha! Vengeance is sweet!
~ An reminisced her days of ignorance. The air-con is set at its highest and An is busy fanning herself as if she was stranded in the middle of the Gobi desert in midsummer.
~ Back at AdDU. Back to reality.
~ But the lessons learned has already been embedded in our souls.


Snapshots!


Footprints


Kokoi and Anito (look at the hands!)


Justin: Super Bayeeet


Gusto Mo Mamatay!?


Bwahahaha! Revenge is sweet!

Insight:
We are currently writing our book of life. We have these blank pages to fill. The pens we use are the people we know. There are very pretty pens that we love more than anything but we end up not using it. We have all the opportunity but we decline for fear of rejection. There are pens whose ink runs in dashes. There are days when the ink would flow smoothly, and there were days when it wouldn't even flow at all. We used to hate these pens. But it often turns out that they were the one who stick with us till the end. There are pens that we really love to use. We get so used to these pens that if we lost it, we know our handwriting will never be the same again. We are the authors of our own book. We are the one writing and choosing which line to write or not. We also decide which pen to use. Well, most of the time. Sometimes, we use the first pen we see at hand. No book is the same. The plot may be the same, but the pens we use will always be different. And that's what makes everyone's story special.

4 comments:

ychel said...

hi! :) i love recollections too. im always excited wen we have our retreat. its true there u can find peace and have time to reflect. love and peace of mind will be around at least for a while.

take care! :)

tina said...

ive only been to one. hehe. :P

anyway... you have nice insights (as usual) hehe.. and youre right about all of it.

Glad you had fun and riding the Ateneo Bus.. hehe. :P

see u sa blogger's party

abidubi said...

kita kits! ^_^
hehe, naiimagine ko nah, I'll be with a group of people pero all I do is nod, laugh and follow them hihi.

hayyy!
sa wakas! sino gumawa ng header mo?
nice siya! :)

B said...

Ako lang po. hehe. Waw. The efforts paid off. Hahaha!

Anong all you have to do is nod ka jan! Ano ka? Chihuahua?

Hehe. CLAM DOWN! :P