We watched Lord of War for our Readings in Asia class. I've watched this before but I haven't finished it till the end. Luckily, ma'am tetch scheduled us to watch this. And lucky you, IMDB has a copy of the script.
Good film. Funny. In a VERY intelligent way.
This is probably the first (and best) film about war. Satirical and realistic at the same time. Not violent, but VERY moving.
And since I celebrate the existence of brains in the world, I looked up some of its best lines. Here's to wit, irrelevant diplomacy, impaired politics, and war. (You can crash out the last if you want)
---
The first and most important rule of gun-running is: Never get shot with your own merchandise.
---
Anatoly Orlov: Is this how you want to be remembered?
Yuri Orlov: I don't want to be remembered at all. That means I'm dead.
---
I sell to leftists, and rightists. I sell to pacifists, but they're not the most regular customers.
---
Vitaly Orlov: [in Russian] Oh God!
Yuri Orlov: [voice-over] Always resort to your native tongue in times of anger. And in times of ecstasy.
---
They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
---
Every faction in Africa calls themselves by these noble names - Liberation this, Patriotic that, Democratic Republic of something-or-other... I guess they can't own up to what they usually are: a federation of worse oppressors than the last bunch of oppressors. Often, the most barbaric atrocities occur when both combatants proclaim themselves freedom-fighters.
---
Back then, I didn't sell to Osama Bin Laden. Not because of moral reasons, but because he was always bouncing checks.
---
I sell guns to every army but the Salvation Army.
---
Borneo Officer: We're with the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms.
Yuri Orlov: Let me guess... this isn't about the alcohol or tobacco.
---
I had a flair for languages. But I soon discovered that what talks best is dollars, dinars, drachmas, rubles, rupees and pounds fucking sterling.
---
After the Cold War, the AK-47 became Russia's biggest export. After that came vodka, caviar, and suicidal novelists.
---
Where there's a will, there's a weapon.
---
You know who's going to inherit the Earth? Arms dealers. Because everyone else is too busy killing each other. That's the secret to survival. Never go to war. Especially with yourself.
Seriously, I can't get over the thought of me being a gun-smuggler after watching this. Muwahaha! (To think that my course intends to me to practice diplomacy)
4 comments:
this is hell funny. you should watch Family Guy. or maybe you do already. :)
Di ko pa napapanood yun kahit na laging pinapalabas sa tibi.
Papanoorin ko toh next time. hehe
McDo? :)
AVVVVVVVVVYYYYYYYYY! WAAAAAAAAAH! *throws confetti, candies, cannons, and swords*
weeeeeee! amishoo! misshoo! mishoo! mishoo! hahhahaha!
obvious bah!? hahaha! sige, mcDo! weeeeeeeee! :) :) :)
Hehehe.. Lagi, ate ami. You watch the whole film. Panalo. :)
Post a Comment