Monday, January 14, 2008

Toss the Feathers

Last night, my dormmate (and crazy friend) Lalaine asked me to help her out in her Lit class. We have to work out on a short story (like those of Hills Like White Elephants) about something which includes dialog between characters, little narration, and hanging endings. After hours of revising and thesaurus-checks, we ended up with this. :)

Toss the Feathers

It was near dusk. The sun hid behind the steel-gray clouds. Thunder roared from miles away, promising a turbulent night ahead. The darkening sky met with the rice fields far on the horizon. A road snaked its way through the sea of rice stalks swaying with the wind. A van scampered timidly along the road as the last light of day left the earth.

Amidst the rattling of the vehicle, a girl remained sound asleep inside the car. Her hair, tangled on intricate webs and her body, fragile. She sat in a distorted manner, one foot clipped to her side and the other foot dangling on the side of her seat. Her head bobbing rhythmically to the bumps the car take on each curve.

Beside her, another girl – probably a year younger – jerked awake from her slumber. She looked at her sleeping friend and smiled.

“She fell asleep too. I'm surprised. She talked to me as if we're close friends during high school.”

The frail girl seemed to hear her. She raised her head and looked outside the window. It was starting to drizzle. The raindrops nestled like needles on the glass windows.

“What time is it?” the frail girl asked.
“Time to buy your own watch.”
“Har har. Very funny. Seriously, we've been traveling for ages. I saw rice fields before I fell asleep. And now, still more rice fields.”
“Funny hearing that from you. You were talking before you fell asleep, and now, you've been awake for just a minute and then you start talking again.”
“I don't talk that much. You know that.”
“Exactly. That's why I'm letting you talk as long as you want.”

The frail girl looked at her and then she slumped down on her seat. Silence.

She looked outside the windows again. The drizzle has stopped and the outline of the moon can be seen from behind the clouds. The moon sailed soulfully away from the mass of lumpy clouds. A blurred plate hanging from the windows of heaven.

“The moon is bleeding.” the frail girl muttered.
The younger girl looked at her. “I think it's beautiful. Rarely would you see a moon in red tinge.”
“I don't want to see the moon in red. It brings a lot of melancholic memories.” She looked at her friend, “You want to hear why?”
“Err... Well...”
“Okay, it doesn't matter, I'll tell it to you anyway...”

The younger girl laughed. She then reached out for her bag and started looking for something.

The frail girl kept talking to herself.
“... back when I was sixteen, I enjoy looking at the night sky. Actually, even before that. When I was little, I've always loved astronomy...”

She found what she was looking for: a pair of earphones.

“... my dad taught me about astronomy and mythology... I really liked the moon above all. It's something special. I like the way it glows... it reminds me of faked emotions. Like a lady smiling even if she really feels like crying... The moon is very mysterious.”
“Err.. okay. Uh, you won't mind it if I listen to my player would you?” the other girl asked.
“Yeah...”

The younger girl switched on her player and the music flowed out her ears. She adjusted the volume so she'd still be able to hear her friend.

“we're not that close back in high school, noh? Well, I don't really like high school... I can't wait for college actually... and I think college didn't disappoint me... or so I think... but before that, let me tell you about my close circle of friends...”
“Sure, sure. Go on.”
“...we're close friends... well, we didn't really started out that close... it just started one night, when the moon was red, like tonight... we were one of the youngest people in class... both of us, still sixteen... we share a lot of commonalities... smart-alecks, too proud for their own good, etcetera... it's no surprise to see us together... so, it all started during a program in school... it ended late... the moon is unusually red... for the first time, I didn't feel problematic... we were walking on the grounds when we saw the moon... and then, we stopped walking... we just stared at it for a long time... that night, when I came home, I thought about her... on how God must have planned out everything to happen... she did not fail me as a friend... she was the first one who appreciated me... I know that I have a lot of flaws, but she shook it aside and loved me as me... cliche-ic you might think, but that is really how it is...”

Silence.

“Ah, so why do you fell melancholic now?”

Hush. More silence.

“I guess, the best things really don't last long...”

She stared at the confused look on the younger girl's face then looked out the window again to see the now-faint-colored moon being engulfed by the gray clouds around it.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

hi, bam the great! :) i missed your blog :p anyway, good things never last... sad...

btw, good story :D

Anonymous said...

hi, bam the great! :) i missed your blog :p anyway, good things never last... sad...

btw, good story :D

tina said...

and at the same time sad things never last too long. hehe. nice one.

ychel said...

wehh!! heelo there! ive got something for u in my blog. just try to visit wen u have time. :P

u never fail to give us bits of wisdom.hehe!

i miss u bamtot! take care.mwahugs.