There's this band I've grown fond of lately. I heard of them two years back but the funny name was a deterring factor in pulling me in. For some strange reason, I found myself on their profile page in Spotify and ended up listening to the entire tracklist of their most recent album. And before I even realized it, I had purchased a ticket for their concert here in Manila. Haha.
One Ok Rock, usually mispronounced as One-Okay-Rock, is simply everything their ridiculous name hints them about. A play on the Japanese pronounciation of One o' Clock (wan-oh-krak), OOR is, basically, quarter-life crisis audiomorphed. I like listening to them because it's like reliving your teens in your 20s: the angst, the immaturity, the adrenaline rush, the emotional surge... y'know, all those things that you've pushed, tied, boxed on this little corner at the back of your mind as you went on to become the responsible adult that you're supposed to be. One Ok Rock is immature and shallow and profound and wise, it's almost funny. As you put your headphones on, all those feelings you thought you've successfully learned to shed off returns and you immerse yourself with the feeling of how it was like to be young and alive again.
Hehe.
Okay, that's one part of it. The other part was that, I think I fell in love with their vocalist, Takahiro Morita. Hahaha. This sounds really stupid. I am actually snickering while I'm writing this.
But anyway, my crushstory with Taka started days after the concert. I remember the first time I watched one of their videos. It was Mighty Long Fall. I also remember asking Carla why OOR has a lot of fangirls even though they are not good-looking. Haha. I also thought they were an American-Japanese band because their songs have English and Japanese in them. It turned out that Taka was just a weeaboo in reverse (haha I kid) and he is heavily influenced by American bands like Linkin Park, Simple Plan, Good Charlotte, Blink-182, and the like---and I was like, "Hold up! These are the bands I used to listen to when I was younger!" It explains why I liked their songs instantly right after hearing it. I was still not much of a fan even after the concert. But I do admit that they're reaaaaally good. Even better than the studio version of their songs, I might say!
After that, I decided to look for their older songs, read about their past interviews, and research more about the members. And before I knew it, I was fawning over this person I used to scoff at. I think it happened somewhere between listening to their albums' hidden tracks, learning that Taka is the one who composes their songs, and basically realizing that he and I share the same weird-ass sense of humor. I listened to their songs before going to work, while at work, while going home, and before falling asleep. It was a comment on their youtube video which inspired me to exercise every other day. I even came to the point of wanting to learn Japanese again (which I half-did by reviewing my Hiragana lessons).
For four weeks, I was infatuated with Taka. I talked about him and his band with my friend Nara for weeks. I felt jealous toward the girls he got issued with. I find myself daydreaming about meeting him. And last February 29, I actually did something I'm quite sure I'm going to judge myself hard years from now---I sent him a personal message in Instagram. HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
But alas (earwax!), the fascination wore off and now I'm crushless once more. Oh well. Then again, as post title says, which is a line from my favorite OOR song Good Goodbye, it was good while it lasted. :)
2 comments:
this is how i fell in love with taka too! nice blog :)
Hehehe, thanks for reading. :D
Post a Comment