Thursday, January 21, 2016

10 Things I Hate About Grad School

1. Readings. Tons and tons of readings.
2. Professors who expect you to read those tons and tons of readings. In less than a week.
3. Large classes. As in, classes with more than eight students in it.
4. Citations.
5. The herculean task of commuting from work to school during rush hour.
6. Skipping dinner for a weekday class.
7. Term papers.
8. Comprehensive exams and thesis.
9. That 70-30 chance of having your graduation delayed.
10. The unspoken agreement that you need to suffer before you get that diploma.

Strangely enough, it is exactly these ten things which I also love most about graduate school. These ten things basically define my grad school experience and explain why it is something I hold on to so much despite the challenges. After all, as what our Big Boss once told us, "Going to graduate school is not about reading more books or writing more papers. Going to graduate school is about learning how to take yourself seriously."

The thing with grad school is that you pass a subject not just for the intention of passing but to prove that you actually learned and understood things you have no idea about during the start of the semester. Grad school does not promise you anything---no professional licenses, no additional titles for people to call you with, no immediate job with a large paycheck. Instead, you are the one who does the promising: that with every unit you acquire, you become a less stupid/immature, more responsible/productive member of society.

So, here's to road to hell grad school and the sweet misery we've all willingly put ourselves into! *raises glass containing non-alcoholic beverage*

2 comments:

Yna said...

10 Things I Hate About Grad School

1. I don't go to grad school.

LOL :D

B said...

ahaha, I'm so sawrry.