Friday, July 21, 2017

"Keep me in your memory; leave out all the rest..."

(Photo taken from here)

High school was a tough time.

I remember getting a book was one of the toughest challenges we have to go through. Given the limited subsidy for the school despite being a 'science high school', it is left to the students how to get their references. It's either you leech off your classmates for the rest of the year or you try surviving without one. Nonetheless, you also have the option to buy a new book or be the 'heir' of one.

I got my English book from a guy, a senior of one year. I don't know his name. He was one of those kids who prefers loitering at the halls playing with his friends instead of focusing on his studies.

The book I received was as good as new. It looked like the pages have been flipped twice or thrice only. However, the last few pages were filled with doodles bordered around the written lyrics of Linkin Park's "In the End".

That was my introduction to Linkin Park. 

For weeks, months, years after that, I would be acquainted with the band for their music. Whenever my grandma would deliver her hours-long sermons, I would sing "Numb" inside of my head or run to my cousin Aya's house and we'll play her brother's Linkin Park playlist all day long. I 'rebelled' with their songs as my battle cry.

Linkin Park defined my formative years and this is why Chester's death affected me in a personal way. Not too deep. But it is there. Like blunt pain. The bittersweet irony that one of the people who have helped others get through their days with his music is the one who needed the most saving.

It has always been repeated to the point that it has become a cliche, but the fact that it needs to be so stresses how important it is: everyone is fighting a battle and you can either be the hand that pulls them to safety or the one that will push them to their death. Be kind.

In the end, it really does matter.

No comments: