I feel a warm bubble of joy swell up inside me everytime I read my batch mates' posts of their Chevening journey.
It's always a different tale for everyone. For some, it required moving mountains and shaking seas. Interestingly for me, it's a combination of "right timing brought by unfavorable conditions" and the challenge of getting a post-grad degree before my 20s ends.
Today, less than twenty four hours before I embark on this new adventure, I wish to look back and thank the people who made this possible.
First, this impulsive idea is something I will always thank Hope for. Her admirable feats last year were nothing short of inspirational. You see, that kind of inspiration---something which pushes people to be better---is rare and when you are lucky enough to receive it, you should bask in its glow and strike. More than the inspiration, I thank Hope for keeping me sane. Her wit, honesty, and pragmatism is a gift and I am very honored to have her as a friend.
To Carla, for making time to consistently nag me about finishing my essays on time despite not knowing what on earth I was applying for. And that despite my disobedience, she still accompanied me through four grueling hours on the dawn of November 9 as I try to beat the deadline for the application. I am still waiting for something to top that 4AM cram session at McDo Vito Cruz as the most memorable experience in my Chevening journey. (Although the visa process comes close second haha)
To Therese Ann, for teaming up with Carla in making me practice for my interview and for being a minor kaladkarin even in the middle of her reviews for the architectural board exam.
I am also forever grateful to Ms. Nadine and Ms. Noda not only for supporting me on this but also for the big role they played in honing me as a professional. I am blessed to have supervisors who are more like mentors and family than mere colleagues. This kind of experience is something not everyone is lucky to have.
Jenny and Zee, even though they've learned about what I've done at the later part of the waiting period, still gave their words of support.
To my sister Siomai, for being low-key supportive and high-key shady about the fact that she'll finish her postgraduate studies next year. Her indirect dissing of how it's taking me forever to get my MA is a brilliant strategy to get me moving. Hahaha.
Lastly, thank you to Tasnim (who is currently incognito haha) for being the first one to know, for keeping the secret, and for being someone who keeps me grounded---emotionally and spiritually.
I used to believe my Chevening journey will officially start the day I land in UK but I think it has already begun. It is lovely enough to be included in the Chevening network and even more so to be a part of this batch. They have been very warm and welcoming. The memories and fun started even before we get to leave the country! It is already an honor to stand together with such brilliant people and it is a gift that I am able to call them friends.
No comments:
Post a Comment