Sunday, May 8, 2022

Ang Namulat, Di Na Muling Pipikit



Back in 2015, during the most frustrating period of the peace process, me and my cousin Deyah were shooed out of the NAIA 3 prayer room by a Moro woman. It was 4:30am and we were told that the prayer room opens at 5AM. That, and she wasn't happy that my cousin is not wearing a hijab.

Later that afternoon after a reluctant day of working, I lifelessly opened up about the experience to my supervisor, Ma'am Noda. Between gritted teeth and teary eyes, I asked "yung ganung tao, iyon ba yung ipinaglalaban ko? Yun ba yung pinagpupuyatan ko, iniiyakan ko, pinagaaksayahan ko ng oras at lakas?"

I remember that it took Ms Nods a long while to respond. And after what seemed like forever, she called me back to her desk and told me what I will always consider one of the greatest lessons of my life. In essence, she said that I am fortunate to receive an education, to be able to go places and meet people that had broadened my perspective about the world; but not everyone is as fortunate as I am. And that for one of me, there are many more like that Moro woman at NAIA 3 who were not given the opportunity that I have received; and thus, remained stunted in their beliefs as a result, not of their own choosing but as given to them of what is left available of the world.

And so, indeed they are who I am fighting for; who I lose sleep for, who I cry for, who I spend my time and energy for. For that is my burden as someone who was privileged to be otherwise. "Kaya ka nagtatrabaho para magkaroon ng pagkakataong magbago ang buhay nila; dumami ang mga taong nakapag-aral at mabawasan ang mga taong ganun mag-isip".

Every passing day, I struggle to remind myself of that lesson. Seven years later, I find solace that something else reminds me of that lesson today.

This crowd. Hundreds of thousands strong. And the other crowds in Tondo and in General Santos tonight.

The thought that, in every part of the Philippines, there are citizens who clamour for good governance, is a reminder that I am not alone. We are not alone.

To everyone who sincerely wants a better Philippines and is tirelessly working to achieve it, regardless of your political colours, keep fighting the good fight. We will get there someday.

No comments: