Thursday, June 2, 2005

Marawi Day 1

Happy Birthday to me.

I'm 16. What fun.

This day is way too extra-ordinary.

Morning...
~ I went to the BDA (with all my heavy baggages) only to be shoved at Mayor Sema's ex-house.
~ Towering Malaysian soldiers welcomed me with their inquisitive stare as they point me to where my companions had been sitting.
~ We drank coffee and ate some biscuits as we wait for our "launching".
~ The boy who passed the exams with us is Esmael Usop. 18 years old. Haha.
~ I wolfed down every crumb of biscuit but failed to finish my ultra-boiling coffee.
~ A Malaysian-speaking woman told me that I OUGHT to finish my coffee as Malaysians would not be too happy if I left food on the table.
~ I sulkingly drank the last drops of my coffee only to spit it out when TWO more girls and ANOTHER boy (from the mayor's office) came to join us.
~ I forgot their names. Sorry.
~ THE Malaysians finally came. They were part of the International Monetary Team. (I just love how that word sounds!)
~ We were asked to ride the Delica. That's their cool car/van. Jane and me were totally preoccupied with its features that the driver have to remind us that the trip will gonna be a looooooooong one.
~ We (the girls) rode the Delica while the guys rode the Safari. The Malaysians don't find it nice to see boys and girls together. (I'm gonna put up an "I love Malaysians Club")

Noon...
~ The trip IS long. And the road is totally crooked. I think I'm gonna puke.
~ Jane and I were kidding about Marawi being the "Land of Streamers". They sure are a-plenty.
~ The car behind us skidded to a halt and the boy from the mayor's office (let's call him Mr. V) darted to the nearest bush. He threw up.
~ It's a good thing that a nearby bakery is open. I HAVE to eat FIVE puddings to keep myself from throwing up too.
~ The troop leader of the soldiers went to check on us. He said "Ah ye owayt? Ye hep-pey? Bee Hep-pey, Ok" and left.
~ Jane and me went to a nearby house to use the comfort room. There, we figured out what the Malaysian said: Are you alright? You happy? Be Happy. Ok?
~ We got our very first glimpse of the breathtaking Lanao Lake.

Afternoon...
~ We stopped on this elegant Jade-hued mosque to pray.
~ We learned that Maranaos are REALLY different. Here goes a conversation with a child.

Me: Dow bag-ibdas? (Where will we use the water for ablution?)
Child: *stares wildly as if seeing a three-headed dog*
Me: oi? oi.. *Me trying three different languages complete with hand gestures to let the child know what we are talking about*
Child: Ah.. Ab'das? *points at the lake*
Me: *to myself* Duh. Ib'das and Ab'das. That's totally alike.

After ablution:

Me: *looking at the water* Madal'm talaga inya? (Is the water really deep?)
Child: um.. *nods*
Me: panun i kadal'm in? (How deep is it?)
Child: um.. *nods*

I left.

Dusk...
~ We FINALLY arrived at the Hotel.
~ I love our rooms. And I love the way the Malaysian and the Maranao lady talked with each other.

Malaysian: Where room TV?
Maranao Lady: That room 17
Malaysian: Room 16 have TV?
Maranao Lady: No TV.
Malaysian: Get TV.
Maranao Lady: No extension. No TV.

~ We ate our supper. And I love the Malaysian's reaction when he found out that I just turned 16. Like he met a talking puppy.
~ I looked like a talking stuffed puppy to him when he learned that I passed the UPCAT.
~ We went to our rooms. An hour later, one light bulb blew out.
~ Someone knocked on our door at eleven o' clock. I went out and banged the next room then ran back to our room.
~ Jane have no intention of sleeping. But she suddenly jumped on the bed when the lights went off.
~ I read my friend's messages on my birthday again and again until I grew tired of it.

What a day.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

kung ako ang kausap:

Malaysian:"Ah ye owayt? Ye hep-pey? Bee Hep-pey, Ok"

pam:"upu. upu. we ahhh oh-wayt. ah meeen no. weee naaat awh-waaayt. *turns green* *throws up*"

-paminta

Anonymous said...

"Malaysian: Where room TV?
Maranao Lady: That room 17
Malaysian: Room 16 have TV?
Maranao Lady: No TV.
Malaysian: Get TV.
Maranao Lady: No extension. No TV."

kewl!;p

-paminta

Anonymous said...

nyahahhaha.. yeeepeee kaaahhyeeeyy!!!.. hahahhahahhhhaa

Anonymous said...

Hahaha! Natawa ako dito!!! Shehehet..