Saturday, November 4, 2006

Maturity

One day to go and I'm still grasping the reigns of my chaotic life.

I still haven't done my laundry. I still haven't bought a filler. And I'm still NOT in my mind. I have to collect myself before everything fall to pieces again.

A question of maturity. To refresh my late-night talks with Karla. I once asked her to DEFINE maturity.

"Its knowing your priorities. And HANDLING them."

Yah. She's right. I once had a problem with that term. Back in high school, my batchmates usually refer me as "bata". Their reasons?

1. I run. I jump. I do cartwheels. In SKIRTS. (duh! I have shorts anyway. And I do the 3rd one when nobody is watching. hehe.)
2. I go crazy over Anime. I talk about them. I search about them. I even dream about them.
3. They can not understand my outlook on life.
4. I AM always happy.
5. They actually DON'T understand whatever I'm saying.

And with that, they tagged me childish. IMMATURE.

I know that I am a late-bloomer. So I didn't quite disagree with their beliefs.

Not until in college.

Actually, I don't see any LOGICAL connections between the concept of mischievousness (ie acting like a child) to immaturity. As what an author once said (I forgot her name), "Maturity is not a product of growing older. It is a product of growing wiser."

So clearly, there is also no clear link between AGE and maturity. The only point of convergience is the concept of EXPERIENCE. As we grow old, we experience lots of things. And in that experience, we learn from our mistakes, thus making us "wiser". But it doesn't mean that anyone older than you is definitely wiser than you. It must be known that one can also gain wisdom in learning from other's mistakes.

Sometimes, I think that ADC did bought some disadvantages. I can now clearly pinpoint the rubies from the coals.

Maturity is about knowing your limits. Setting and following it. It can be difficult to tell if a person is mature en bloc. One's maturity is varied in different context. But one good way of measuring it is by how the person itself reacts to the constant impediments set by everyday life.

Being childish is not tantamount to being immature. It would be if you do that ALL the time. Even if you still talk in "baby lingo" in front of your friends, at least try to be sensible. You can laugh at shallow jokes, play hopscotch under the pale moonlight, eat chocolate cake untidily, and put up dresses for your pet cats. It DOESN'T matter. As long as you are open-minded about different perspectives that life has to offer.

And I think I that is something that draws the line of maturity.

Mature people know when they are immature and when they aren't. Immature individuals simply can't differentiate both.

5 comments:

tina said...

Indeed maturity is knowing when to be immature...

have a great day!

Anonymous said...

on old friends saying that you've changed and you've turned into a "deep" person that they can't "reach/swim? you:

it is not a matter of who's deep or shallow, it is an issue of maturity. for one can choose to be shallow but can never choose to be mature.

Anonymous said...

hello there!

nice insights..I like this:
"Maturity is about knowing your limits. Setting and following it."

yes,indeed..

thanx for dropping by..see you later! :D

Anonymous said...

i agree with you. dropping by! :D

B said...

Isang malaking char! haha1