Sunday, April 1, 2007

Some Funny Things

OH YEAH!

I'm typing again! Haha! It's been ages since my last post, and after a million blog-free minutes and tagboard messages, I realized that the most difficult time to blog is usually after a long hiatus. Two reasons:

1. FIRST SHOCK - Unfamiliarity seeps in your veins as you ogle at your blogpad. You suddenly wonder how on earth did something you once used as an instrument in propagating your evil thoughts became a foreign object.
2. SECOND SHOCK - You get over the first shock but then you can't seem to find the "spark". The spark ie the sudden rush of adrenaline you used to experience back in your blog-a-holic moments. The spark can be characterized as the igniting power that would then get your cerebellum working in full speed that you will be amazed, at least once, on how your fingers seem to find the perfect words you're looking for. But after a hiatus, you will feel the "withdrawal symptoms" of blogging. Which usually results to you developing a sloth-like manner of typing and thinking. Thus, your next post will be so long that it could pass as a manuscript for all the Lord of the Rings and Harry Potter books there is.

But I do wish my post won't be that long. Hehe. So to prevent such things from happening, I've set a certain topic for this post.

I've attended a wedding last March 25. A Muslim Wedding to be precise.

Uh-huh. My religion is Islam. So contrary to the popular belief that the media feeds us, we are not a bunch of folks who make a living by slaying people who don't share the same faith as us. We surf the net, we post bulletins in Friendster, we devour meals in buffet restaurants (snobbing the pork, of course), we play sudoku, we breathe the same air, walk the same land, watch the same stupid programs on TV, we go to school, we read books, we know ENGLISH, and we BLOG. Basically, we're all the same. And I find it amusing how non-Muslims would fret whenever they would know that someone is a Muslim. And then it seems as if they've contracted Alzheimer's, forgetting that they ever met the person.

But we really should not be talking about those people. If they are easily affected by things they thought should be, it only proves that they were shallow-minded, fickle, and etc. *insert all words synonymous with stupid here*

So back to the wedding.

I'm not really religious and all that. I believe in my faith. And for me that's enough. My mom and me would usually quarrel on how I tend to disregard some Islamic practices. She dislikes the idea of me playing the guitar. She claims that she heard it in an usyatan (stupid people teaching "Islamic practices" on radio) that it is nonreligious, and that God said that we should read the Qur'an instead of playing the guitar. What the!? Who made all those rules? Surely not God. Was the guitar even invented during the proclamation of Muhammad? Or did God just texted those people saying 'O ye shalt ban thy guitar as Bam fails to read the Holy book because of this instrument of evil and distraction!' Har har.

I'm not stupid. We all know RELIGION is VERY political. I'm not saying that religion is BAD. It is the PEOPLE in it that makes it so. This people, who claims that they are followers of the Supreme Being, set rules they want. Thus, manipulating the people who are gullible enough in submitting to such ridiculous practices. And what are ridiculous practices am I referring to? One word: PATRIARCHY.

Yes. This is basically what our forefathers (OMG. Forefathers? Patriarchy at work) left us. To believe that the male being is smarter, stronger, BETTER than all else. Religion and society are two very powerful institutions, and it's scary how these two are juxtaposed on some places. The Philippines can be the best example. We were and still are struggling to get away from the clasp of our traditional conservative past. A very patriarchal past wherein men are given premium over women. And this argument leads us back to my topic, the WEDDING. (See? Post-hiatus sickness)

It was my second-cousin's wedding. I don't know her. *innocent grin* HONESTLY. My grandmother just summoned me to be her proxy as she can't attend the said occasion. She's a sponsor. Aya, like me, was there in place of someone else. So we were the official SUPERPROXIES of the millennium. Our aunts tagged us as PROXIma Centauris. Very funny.

There are quite a number of funny things in that wedding.

1st funny thing: Our cousin, the bride, is actually the THIRD wife of her groom. The funny part is, the groom looks like a premature catfish. We were snickering on the thought of the wedding having an "Under the Sea" theme.
2nd funny thing: We were reading the invitations. The list of Principal Sponsors were Über-long. The list were full of old people. We were betting that the couple does not even know half of them. It was their parent's job. I solemnly swear that if I ever have my wedding, I will not allow my parents to tinker with the invitations. I'll be inviting people I KNOW. And I don't care if the elders would mock me. Hello? Do I know them? It's my wedding anyway. Not my mom's.
3rd funny thing: PATRIARCHY at work.

This is the funniest part. There is a certain segment in a wedding when a brother of the bride (usually the father when no brother is present), will talk to the groom and is supposed to give advice. So the brother of the bride went up the stage, grabbed the mic and start blabbing about something that goes like this:


"They say, that we men, should look for a woman. A good woman to be exact. And what are the requisites of a good woman? It is when she is beautiful, wealthy, and faithful. Lucky is the man who finds a beautiful wife. Blessed is the one who gets a beautiful and wealthy wife. But all grace is on the man who gets a beautiful, wealthy, and faithful wife. For even without the first two, the last can stand. Now even if your wife is all these three, it is much better to find a woman who can give you children. What good is being beautiful, wealthy, and faithful if she can't bore your kin, right? Hahahaha!"

I think he's joking. Funny thing is, I don't find it funny.

I would then love to jump up my seat, ran into the stage and smash his head into pieces, if only I'm not wearing heels. Aya sensed my feelings so she pointed to my phone and told me to pour my angst into it. And that's exactly what I did. Text Karla about my overpowering wrath.

I know Islam respects women. But what the brother said was obviously from the way societal norms are injected into his teeny-weeny brain. Objectifying women! Like duh. Women are not created for reproduction. We are not objects. We do not need to be controlled. We have minds of our own. We are FREE.

Am I just thankful the Sponsor's list does not have someone from Gabriela in it. Tsk. And I'm also thankful that the food served is delicious. The joys of free hotel food! It drove the anger away. I'm thankful that Adheng and me were in good terms again, after the knife-throwing appearance two Decembers ago.

And I'm thankful that I'm BLOGGING AGAIN! Whew! :)

12 comments:

INIDORO said...

Well, some things are not surely that funny.

About being a Muslim and all, I think it's all because of that terrorism thing around 2000. It just so happened that people who roam the upper part of the country seem to have had the impression of generalyzing the inhabitants of the South. Which is somewhat shallowminded of them, right?

Sometimes, I wish I do not belong to any religion. I've got my own God, and I believe in God. People just make so much fuss about it by setting the shitty rules and traditions, which somehow, becomes irrational.

Now that speech, is totally hateful. It's pretty obvious that they're putting a border as to how women should be. Beautiful, wealthy and faithful. Fuck.

~~

That's long. Whew.

abidubi said...

there's a conspiracy behind all of this *looks both ways*..
I think they're out to get us!!

Anonymous said...

We're old enough naman eh, we know what we want and think is better for us.

As for me, I don't want to be controlled by the "laws" of my religion.

As long as I'm not hurting anyone, and the fact that I'm happy, then everything's okay ^_^

Religion IS politics, the only difference is that we have an unseen Supreme Being as the main man *uh-oh patriarchy*

tina said...

everywhere we go... there's politics. Even in our school.. even in the world of medicine... :P

Religion is not a bad thing.. and you are right,... it's people who manipulate the whole thing. Religion cant save a person.... and it exists... because "they" have "placed" this certain do's and don'ts which in fact... if you think about it.. doesnt make sense...

basta.. ang hirap explain. Hehe. :P

just as long as you believe in God.. and not hurting other people in the process....no worries. :P

and about the person's talk? rawr ha. ano kaya na feel ng pinsan mo?

anyway miss ya girl!! glad you posted. hehe

Anonymous said...

welcome back,Bam!! for good na ba?LOL!

have a nice day!!

ychel said...

hey..thanks for the comment and the concern.

WELCOME BACK BAMMMMM!!I MISSEEEDDD YOUUUUU!!!!

well, for me i dont care watever the religiion u have as lng as u dont harm me and u respect me then ill do the same with u.

thats true. women are not made for reproduction and were not objects. gah! we also have the right to do watver we wanted to do and we have the freedom to decide, think and feel watever we want.errr...

take care bamtotz! i miss u..hehe! nice ur back here..hav a good week! lov ya..mwahugs..

Anonymous said...

It's our faith that saves us and not our religion. But religion exists to nurture our faith. Tell me, how did we know our Jesus and Muhammed if not for religion? I agree with you guys about the dogmas which are disagreeable to us. Mahirap nang makipag-away sa mga traditional na tao in the context of religion.

Almost all things has its 'good' and 'bad' sides. And religion isn't spared from this.

Bam, how'd u know bout my trip to cebu? Hmmm..

Anonymous said...

di na siguro ako mag-iingles. hehe

Ganito. Una. Sa mga pinaggagawa at pinagsasabi ng mga taga-"itaas" or North or whatever nagmumukha na silang mga gunggung (para sa akoa). Honestly. Ang mag-alma ewan ko lang, yung matatamaan... 'wag kana. can't change my mind.

Panagalawa. Tumiwalag ako sa relihiyon ko (christian)dahil anti-patriarchy ako. [In other words: feminist. not to mention i-hate-society din.] I think it's nonsense. Like duh? Sinong niloloko niyo?

Pangatlo. And that brother of the groom is so.. sooo... never mind. Mag-isip-isip muna siya [that is kung me utak siya at KUNG marunong siyang mag-isip] bago siya magsalita. Wedding kaya yun. Daming maiinsulto. Ang bobo-bobo nya nga talaga.

---->so. Mas matatanggap niya pa na beautiful and wealthy and faithful (kuno) ang wife niya huh? Di man lang niya namention na mahal ba siya ng wife niya and stuff. Payag siya pera at kagandahan lang at walang pagmamahal. Silly pig. tsk


Pang-apat. I totally disagree. Di naman masama ang musika ah. hehe at adik natawa talaga ako dun sa 'O ye shalt ban thy guitar...'


I have so many things in my head bam but too bad my wrists hurt (dahil sa chat natin). haha We'll talk about it later.^^

Anonymous said...

Me and bam (the author) on YM:


Pam: bam me experience ako. nung nag leader's conference kami sa bicol. yfc.

Pam: grabe bam. nabwisit ako dun

Pam: Pag magroll-call kasi yan diba:

emcees:Luzon!
crowd: Hwoooo

mc's: Visayas!
crowd: Hwwwwwooooooooooooooo

mc's: Mindanao!
crowd: Hwwwwwwwwwwwwwwoooooooooo

mc's: Metro Manilaaaaaaaaaaaa!!!
me: Hwwwwooo----what?? manileños: Hwoooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo *yabang*

Pam: duh?
Pam: bam? ilang major groups of islands ba ang pinas? di ba TATLO lang?

Bam: hahahahahahaha?!
Bam: shet
Bam: natawa ako dun ah!
Bam: hahahahaha!
Bam: kuttabare
Bam: hahahahaha!
Bam: kalokohan!

Pam: *pissed* ang sarap pagbabarilin

Bam: ipagdasal mo nga ang katinuan nunh emcee

Pam:

Bam: hahahahahha!
Bam: masarap ipako sa krus!

Pam: huy ulul. nakakalimutan mo ata na ako lang ang youth for christ na atheist. haha i won't pray for them. leave them to burn in hell. haha

marijuana said...

ano bang naman yung speech na yun? kahit na joke lang, ang pangit pa ring pakinggan...

Peppermint Streak said...

hmm...

i don't think ganun PARIN talaga ang tingin ng mga tao sa Muslim. and hear hear to that.

second, i am not the religious type din(as how Pam's bestfriend[society] defines "religious". i mean, Wicca is a wonderful religion and i grew with it. so mote it be *wink*

third, there is no beautiful(ako) wealthy(ehem) and faithful*looks around* woman... i mean, BAKIT SYA MAGPAPAKAFAITHFUL?! some guys are irresistible. hahahahahahahah

kendi 'ching said...

well, i am out of ideas and on hiatus mode, too. had it not been for someone's birthday, i wouldn't have an update now. hehe. it uber sucks noh? and more to that, i'm constantly on sensory overload status after heavy mental torture @ room 402.

funny thing is, one of my closest friend is a muslim. and the first thing i told her is "hala ka... mahadlok lagi ko nimo kay muslim ka." she just laughed at me. she wasn't at all harmlful. hehe. infact, though i miss her soooo much, we still are good friends and i hope to bump into her at gensan or davao, come august. :)