Tuesday, February 5, 2008

Amen. I'm Alive.

Note: I don't really intend to blog until this weekend, but then again, it would take a lot of will power if I would want to save what I'm feeling right now for three more days or so. I'll write this without thinking about the words. Straight to the point. No sugar-coated lies. This may be my most sincere post yet.

A while ago, while browsing through YouTube, I tried searching for videos of artists I had developed a liking to. And after an hour of watching numbers of vids, I got stuck with Nickelback's If Everyone Cared MV.




The song hit me. Hard. I didn't even realize that I'm already crying. Have you already experienced the feeling wherein you feel as if a clamp is gripping your heart? Squeezing it until you can't breath. And then, tears would instantaneously well up in your eyes. That's exactly how I can put into words what I felt. Guilt. Funny, eh? Even if I know that I haven't done something wrong. I feel like I am directly involved in what is happening with the world today.

Do you know that Kenya is currently on the verge of civil war? If the clash between Odinga and Kibaki’s controversial presidential election issue continues, there is a huge propensity that Kenya would be hosting the next massive genocide in Africa after the incident in Rwanda on 1994. Congo, by far, still holds the record for the most cases of sexual violence in the world. The prevalence of tribal wars is growing. It's a new hype. Ethiopia is infested with nothing except poverty and flies. All these have happened, are happening, and will continue to happen in Africa.

Africa. AGAIN. I know that a lot of people get irritated with the Africa issue. I can’t blame them. I felt that way before.

Before, I thought that large part of Africa is home to wild animals. I thought that the savannahs are rarely visited by people. This is what those encyclopedias and books taught me. Until today. Now, I know that Africa is not just a continent with beautiful safaris, it’s a large puzzle; divided by ethnicity, politics, government, and class.

Sometimes, I feel that I want to go back in time. Back when I was a child. Wherein, my notion of the world is perfect. Wherein I thought that the San can live and drink by digging holes on the ground. Wherein I thought that Africans really have ostriches for pets. A time when a wild lion is the greatest threat a tribesman can encounter.

Sometimes, with all the realizations and realistic concepts plaguing our mind, we forget to imagine and to believe.

I remember the time when I questioned the feasibility of the Millennium Development Goals of the United Nations. I came close to thinking that it's irrationally impossible.

And as always, I realized at the end of the day that, oftentimes, it was after all reality which coerces people to be idealistic. The nature of idealism is to promulgate and spread the seeds of optimism to everyone.

"Ambitious but possible."

Indeed. Maybe, as long as there are people who are NOT AFRAID TO CARE. As long as there are people who get inspired and do their own little share.
---

Anyway, I got this from Ate Ychel. A wish for you in 2008.

My Wish for You in 2008

May peace break into your house and may thieves
come to steal your debts. May the pockets of your jeans become a magnet of $100
bills. May love stick to your face like Vaseline and may laughter assault your
lips! May your clothes smell of success like smoking tires! May happiness slap
you across the face and may your tears be that of joy. May the problems you had
forget your home address! In simple words… May 2008 be the best year of your
life!


I wish all of us, a clean heart. A clean life. May we all be blessed. Regardless of culture, class, color, or race. May we be better in whatever we do. And may we all remember that we haven't lost that thing which we thought we have lost long ago. What do you call it, again? Ah right.


CONSCIENCE.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love nickelback! ^-^

Anonymous said...

Hey~ I haven't talked to you for a while, I had forgotten the link to your blog for a while xD, but I remembered. I really miss you...

About the blog.. I don't really listen to English music anymore but I heard the song looked up the lyrics. This might sound cold to you or might change your opinion about me but w.e. Well I can understand why the song touched you, it's not something that can happen, and not something we'd really want to happen. Peace sounds wonderful but it really wouldn't. In a world where no one fights, and no one lies, we can't build up our own defense. The world would be a boring place. Where in some areas we do wish that was going on, 'cause it would be for the best, there's a fallacy of the word 'everyone'.

So it's not that I don't care about what's going on over there, but it's not our lives there. Yes maybe we are one of the lucky ones, that aren't facing through all that, but it's up to them to go through with it, that's where they were brought up there. Life was never fair and it will never be, live your own life and help those around you. With just that it's worth it more than worrying about something you really can't do nothing about. And besides crying is good, sometimes when I think about dying I start tearing, but I'm always happy :]

I'm sorry if you didn't like my opinion...